Header image alt text

Jamie and Sue's Website

George Thomas Wood

Biography of Private George Wood, (27170)
1st Battalion, King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Died 11th March 1917

under Construction


George Thomas Wood

Date of birth:

Place of Birth:
Tongue End, Lincolnshire, England

Date of Birth registration:
Jul – Sept 1895

Place of Birth Registration:
Spalding, Lincolnshire, England



No marriage for George has been found and because of his age we can assume that he never had the opportunity to marry.


Father’s Name:
Thomas Wood

Father’s DOB:

Father’s Place of Birth:
Deeping St Nicholas, Lincolnshire, England

Father’s Occupation:

Mother’s Name:
Georgina Simmons

Mother’s DOB:

Mothers POB:
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England

Mother’s Occupation:

Their Marriage:
1889 Spalding

Siblings: (Name), (DOB), (POB)
Harry Wood, 1890, Tongue End
George Thomas Wood, 1895, Tongue End

1901 Census:
George is living with his parents in Baston Fen.

1911 Census:
George is living with his parents in Baston Fen. The census gives him an age of 15 and he is listed as a farmer’s Son working on farm.

Relatives in services:

Newspaper Mentions

Military Records

Attestation Papers:
None found

WW1 Soldier’s Records:
None found

Soldier’s Died In The Great War:
These records show that George Wood, 27170 1st Bn King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment was killed in action on 11th March 1917 in the Western European Theatre in France and Flanders.

Pension Records:
Not yet available

Medal Card Index:
George’s medal card index states that he was eligible for the following medals:-
The British Medal
The Victory Medal


Baston, Roll of Honour in St John the Baptist Church

Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
In memory of Private G wood, 27170, 1st Bn, King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) who died on 11 March 1917.
Remembered with honour, Rancourt Military Cemetery.

More information:

Military Service Timeline:

It is not known when George joined the army as the original army records were destroyed in the London Blitz during World War Two.
During February the 1st Battalion King’s Own Regiment was removed from front line trenches around Bouchavesnes and moved firstly to huts at Camp 117 and then to Corbie.
For the rest of February the Battalion continued training before eventually being moved to Vitz-Villeroy, where along with Villeroy-Sur-Authie they were billeted on the 7th March.
The Battalion immediately went back onto training and was receiving replacements to bring it back to Battalion strength. The Battalion moved to Marquay by bus on 22nd February and continued training until it was moved on April 6th for final preparations for the battle of Arras.
It is now yet known how George Wood died, whether this was in training or as a result of earlier action this is yet to be discovered.